Experience the astonishment and adrenaline in this once in a life adventure as you swim alongside 35-foot whale sharks with trained expert guides!
Whale shark snorkeling Tour from Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya
Swimming with whale sharks is something that you can’t miss during your summer vacations in the Riviera Maya.
Whale sharks are species of shark/Fish measuring up to 18 meters long, putting them in a decent place in the giants of the sea contest. They prefer warm surface water or areas where there are outbreaks of water with lower temperatures as this promotes the growth of plankton, their favorite food. For this reason every year between the months of May and September many whale sharks can be seen swimming in the waters near Isla Holbox, Cancun and Isla Contoy.
While doing this trip, you also might see some devil mantas, an animal of spectacular dimensions that add more excitement to this tour. Dolphins and turtles are common as well into these waters, so keep your eyes open and let nature surprise you, you’ll never know what will come out of the water in front of you.
- WHALE SHARK SEASON: End of May to September 17
- The swim with whale sharks tour is available from End of May to September 17 of each year, Government permits are usually issued for May 20 – Sept 17.
- Timetable: Monday to Sunday
- Shift: from 7:30am to 1:00 pm aprox.
- Languages: English / Spanish / French / Italian
- Pick up times: Cancún Hotel Zone/Centro: 6:30 AM – 7:10 AM / Airport South to Playa del Carmen: 6:00 AM – 6:30 AM / South of Playa del Carmen to Tulum: 5:00 AM – 6:00 AM
- Activity Length: 6 hrs activity + Transportation time
- Prices: Cancún Hotel Zone/Centro: 199 USD | Airport South to Playa del Carmen: 209 USD | South of Playa del Carmen to Tulum: 225 USD
- Shared boats up to 10 per boat
- Need help?: +52 1 984 157 10 55 / +52 1 984 238 684
- Roundtrip transportation in comfortable A/C Minivan
- Continental breakfast at our marina
- Snorkeling gear by National Geographic Snorkeler*
- 2 to 3 dives per person with the whale sharks with certified guide
- Visit to Playa Norte beach in Isla Mujeres after the dives
- Time to Relax on the Beach
- Water and soft drinks
- Fresh ceviche and sandwiches
- Whale Shark swimming diploma
Price does NOT include $13 Mandatory tax charged by the Mexican government to enter whale shark protected areas. (Collected in cash at dock) All participants must have the special marine park bracelet on while on the tour. Thank you for your help & cooperation! These funds will be used here in Mexico for whale shark research & conservation.
- $13 USD Dock and National Park Preservation Federal Tax. PAID AT DOCK IN CASH
- Neoprene wetsuit for rent – 15 USD (optional)
- Comfortable clothing
- Set of dry clothes
- Comfortable shoes/sandals
- Cap or Hat
- Biodegradable sunscreen
- Biodegradable mosquito repellent
- Extra money or credit card
- No Whale shark tours available on 30 June, 30 July and 30 Aug as per Govt regulation
- It is not suitable for physically challenged
- It is not recommended for pregnant women
- Not allowed for children under 2
- People under the influence of alcohol or toxic substances won’t be allowed to participate